THOSE WHO CAN’T, TEACH
An interactive theatrical experience
presented as part of Esplanade’s Feed Your Imagination 2018
Those Who Can’t, Teach is a Singaporean theatre classic by Cultural Medallion winners Alvin Tan and Haresh Sharma. This excerpt of Those Who Can’t, Teach centres around Teck Liang, a rebellious student, who is caught drinking, smoking and making a ruckus with classmates, Clare, Jali and Raymond. As a result, Teck Liang’s parents have to meet Mrs Phua, his teacher. An argument ensues between the parents and child, and Jali, Teck Liang’s best friend, ends up embroiled in it as well.
How can Teck Liang make peace with his parents? Can his friendship with Jali weather this dispute?
Those Who Can’t, Teach is an interactive theatre experience that features selected excerpts performed by the original cast (Ghafir Akbar, Joshua Lim, Karen Tan, Lian Sutton and Siti Khalijah Zainal) of the sold-out 2017 production.
- Question and reflect on the expected roles of parents, teachers and students
- Seek to understand, evaluate and reflect on the different perspectives
- Gain an understanding of forum theatre as a tool for developing critical thinking and analytical skills
- Be empowered to manage issues and effect changes in their lives
- entertained by the performance
- engaged with the issues discussed
- empowered to effect changes and manage problems in their lives.
- enabled by new information about Singapore theatre
26 – 29 June 2018
2.30pm – 4.00pm & 5.00pm – 6.30pm
Esplanade Theatre Studio